Inside Llewyn Davis and my concept.












Following my first task, involving presenting my initial concept to my tutors and peers, before focusing entirely on how I wanted to execute my idea, I wanted to concentrate more on the cinematography of Inside Llewyn Davis, by Bruno Delbonnel.













What I love about so much about the cinematography in this film is how moody it is, it's extremely atmospheric. For my scene, the dinner table meeting discussing slaves in Django Unchained, I wanted to recreate it in a way that clouds the scene in mystery. The low key lighting and abundance in shadows in Inside Llewyn Davis fit just that, so I feel it would work for my scene. Rather than keeping it as a meeting discussing slaves, I want to slightly modernise it and have it as a meeting between rival kingpin drug lords.






What I like about this colour scheme is that the colours are very blunt and not particularly 'comfortable' colours. There is a lack of warmth and just generally give off a sense of cold, loneliness, with no real emotion. This is the kind of colour scheme, or dark and dull colours of a similar nature I'd like to implement into my realisation to reflect how grim the crime underworld is.




A lot of Inside Llewyn Davis is shot in low key lighting, conveying a sense of mystery around the characters, not really being able to see their face and their expressions - are they to be trusted? This would work with my realisation since we're unsure who these drug lord kingpin are, we don't know what their intentions are, whether or not to trust them.



Another aspect of the lighting I like from the film, and what I will use as inspiration for my own piece, is the use of natural lighting shining in from the outside onto the dark interior. Since I will be using the studio, I will have to artificially create the effect of natural lighting. The reason I like this is that it seems as though the world we are getting an insight into an environment that is separate from conventional society. Almost like they're not supposed to be there, or doing something they shouldn't be doing - such as with the drug meeting in my realisation.






Another example from Inside Llewyn Davis of natural lighting pouring into a dark interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment